OUT IN ZION attempts to deepen and enrich the conversation intersecting membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender. The podcast features weekly discussions, interviews, and stories exploring current events and perennial topics, from varied perspectives. We approach this conversation with a commitment to two basic guidelines: to be LGBT-affirming and church-affirming at the same time. This means no church bashing and no LGBT pathologizing, while still maintaining space for thoughtful analysis of both the church and the LGBT experience/culture.
Out in Zion contributors thus far include:
— Episodes led by and for members of the transgender community coming soon —
Significant values of the OUT IN ZION podcast include:
- Allowing listeners to appreciate and reverence the unique spiritual journeys and yearnings of LGBT people, their allies and families in the Church, while avoiding prescriptive advice to them or to their church leaders.
- Endeavoring to help LGBT Mormons feel a sense of empowerment around their own decisions regarding their life path.
- Exploring the spiritual, psychological and social value of being ‘out’ (meaning not hiding our sexual orientation and/or gender identity) within our faith community.
- Affirming that spirituality and/or religious devotion for many, is an important ongoing part of individual identity, purpose and well-being.
- Recognizing how either being and/or knowing LGBT people has positively impacted our individual growth.
- Inviting a sensitive and person-centered tone of discourse within the LDS LGBT world.
In short, OUT IN ZION is a dialogue that attempts to equally and respectfully honor spiritual and sexual orientations as well as gender identities.
Check Out Episode 1: LGBT Mormons and Social Media here